L'histoire

Tarente

Tarente


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Tarente (Taras, Tarente moderne), située sur la côte sud des Pouilles, en Italie, était une ville grecque puis romaine. Contrôlant une grande partie de la Magna Graecia et dirigeant la Ligue Italiote, Tarente, avec son excellent port, était une ville stratégiquement importante tout au long de l'Antiquité. Ainsi, il jouera un rôle central dans les guerres entre Pyrrhus et Rome au 3ème siècle avant notre ère et à nouveau pendant la deuxième guerre punique quand Hannibal occupa le sud de l'Italie. Bien qu'il ne reste aujourd'hui que peu de bâtiments de l'ancienne Tarente, le musée de la ville possède l'une des plus grandes collections de poterie grecque au monde et possède de nombreux bronzes raffinés, des bijoux en or et des mosaïques au sol.

Aperçu historique

Fondation

Tarente, ou Taras comme on l'appelait pour la première fois en grec, était une colonie fondée par Sparte au VIIIe siècle avant notre ère dans le cadre de la vague de colonisation grecque de la région qui allait devenir la Magna Graecia. Selon la tradition, la ville a été fondée en 706 avant notre ère par le héros spartiate Phalanthus. Les premiers colons auraient également été la progéniture de femmes et d'ilotes spartiates, les ouvriers agricoles semi-esclaves qui ont servi leurs maîtres spartiates. Des preuves archéologiques, cependant, indiquent un établissement néolithique beaucoup plus ancien suivi d'une présence mycénienne dans la région pendant l'âge du bronze.

Des marchandises et des pièces de monnaie de Tarente ont été fouillées tout le long des côtes sud et adriatiques de l'Italie.

Une ville prospère

Située sur la côte et dotée du meilleur port du golfe de Tarente, la ville allait prospérer et devenir l'un des centres commerciaux les plus importants de la région. La croissance de la ville l'a mise en conflit avec des rivaux locaux tels que Metapontum à l'autre extrémité du golfe, mais Tarente a remporté d'importantes victoires sur les tribus locales (les Messapiens et les Peucètes) en 490 et 480 avant notre ère. Ces batailles ont été commémorées dans des dédicaces faites à Delphes, bien que la paix n'ait pas duré longtemps car les Messapiens ont infligé une sérieuse défaite à Tarente c. 475 avant notre ère dans une bataille décrite par Hérodote comme un « grand bain de sang » (7.170.3). Une conséquence de la faiblesse militaire de la ville a été le renversement de la classe dirigeante, qui a été remplacée par un système de démocratie limitée.

La fortune de Tarente s'est améliorée à la fin du 5ème siècle avant notre ère et a vu la ville s'étendre à quelque 530 hectares et augmenter son territoire périphérique, une expansion aidée par le déclin de son rival de longue date Croton plus loin sur la côte sud de l'Italie. Des marchandises et des pièces de monnaie de Tarente (y compris des statères en argent avec leur silhouette masculine distinctive chevauchant un dauphin) ont été fouillés tout le long des côtes sud et adriatiques de l'Italie, illustrant la prospérité et la capacité commerciale de la ville. De grands sanctuaires et cimetières de temples attestent également de la croissance de la ville au cours de la seconde moitié du Ve siècle avant notre ère. La ville a même fondé sa propre colonie à l'ouest, Heraclea (Herakleia), en 433 avant notre ère. Vers 400 avant notre ère, Héraclée devint le siège de la Ligue Italiote, une association de cités-États du sud de l'Italie, dominée par Tarente.

Vous aimez l'histoire ?

Inscrivez-vous à notre newsletter hebdomadaire gratuite !

Au cours du 4ème siècle avant notre ère, le gouvernement de Tarente était dominé par la pensée pythagoricienne (Pythagore avait établi son école plus loin sur la côte) et un homme, en particulier Archytas (vers 400-350 avant notre ère). Le célèbre mathématicien, pythagoricien et homme d'État a été élu général sept fois et a probablement forgé une alliance avec Syracuse, la puissante cité-État de Sicile, ce qui a permis à Tarente de s'étendre davantage à une époque où Dionysius Ier, le tyran de Syracuse, était occupé à saccager des villes. dans le sud de l'Italie. Dans la seconde moitié du IVe siècle av. Au 3ème siècle avant notre ère, cependant, un ennemi beaucoup plus dangereux rôdait en Magna Graecia : Rome.

Pyrrhus & Rome

Heureusement pour Tarente, un puissant allié était là pour les sauver de l'occupation romaine. Le grand général et roi d'Épire, Pyrrhus, a répondu à un appel à l'aide de la ville alors qu'elle subissait une attaque romaine imminente en 280 avant notre ère. Pyrrhus a traversé l'Adriatique avec son armée de 25 000 fantassins et, employant 20 éléphants de guerre et une force de cavalerie supérieure de 3 000, il a remporté des batailles contre les armées romaines à Héraclée en 280 avant notre ère et à Ausculum en 279 avant notre ère. Les victoires, néanmoins, ont coûté cher en vies humaines des deux côtés et ces batailles n'ont pas été décisives, d'où l'expression durable « une victoire à la Pyrrhus ». Plus important encore pour Tarente, Pyrrhus fut bientôt contraint de quitter la région et de faire face à la menace croissante de Carthage pour ses intérêts en Sicile. Le terrain étant désormais dégagé, Rome occupa la ville en 270 avant notre ère et par la suite Tarente devint l'alliée de la puissance dominante de la péninsule.

Annibal et Rome

La région est redevenue le champ de bataille le plus important de la Méditerranée lorsque Hannibal a envahi l'Italie lors de la deuxième guerre punique (218-201 avant notre ère). Tarente, comme la plupart des villes du sud de l'Italie, se rangea du côté de Carthage, mais l'acropole et le port de Tarente étaient néanmoins occupés par Rome. Hannibal cherchait désespérément un port à partir duquel son armée pourrait être ravitaillée depuis l'Afrique, mais il ne pouvait pas prendre Tarente et ne parvenait qu'à occuper la ville extérieure.

Pendant le chaos des guerres puniques, une brève tentative a été faite pour regagner l'indépendance de la ville en 213 avant notre ère lorsqu'un certain nombre d'aristocrates ont renversé le gouvernement. Ce fut une rébellion de courte durée et la ville est de nouveau entièrement sous contrôle romain en 209 avant notre ère lorsqu'elle a été capturée par Quintus Fabius Maximus. Lorsque Scipion l'Africain a navigué vers l'Afrique et a attaqué Carthage elle-même en 203 avant notre ère, Hannibal a été rappelé d'Italie pour une défense ultime de la patrie. Tarente a été laissée à la merci de Rome. Avec ses terres considérablement réduites et gouvernées directement par un préteur romain, la ville a finalement retrouvé son ancien statut d'alliée formelle c. 180 avant notre ère. Avec l'extension de la via Appia à Brundisium plus au sud-est, Tarente a perdu sa position de premier port du sud de l'Italie.

Tarente a continué comme une ville modeste de la République romaine et en 122 avant notre ère, la colonie de Neptunia a été fondée, qui deviendrait une partie de Tarente proprement dite en 89 avant notre ère. En 59 av. La ville produisait encore des produits d'exportation tels que la laine, les textiles, la teinture pourpre tyrienne et les denrées alimentaires. Des preuves épigraphiques, la densité de logements privés et la présence de plusieurs grandes villas démontrent que la ville est restée économiquement active et relativement prospère jusque dans la période impériale avec l'empereur Néron (r. 54-68 CE) lui accordant le statut de colonie.

Antiquité tardive

Les juifs et les chrétiens étaient une forte présence à Tarente à partir du 1er siècle de notre ère avec un évêché établi au 4ème siècle de notre ère ou avant. Pendant les invasions gothiques, la ville était, malgré ses nouvelles fortifications, occupée par Totila, roi des Ostrogoths (r. 541-552 CE). L'excellent port de la ville n'a jamais cessé d'attirer une présence navale lorsque l'occasion s'est présentée et Constans II, l'empereur byzantin, a envoyé une flotte en Italie qui a débarqué à Tarente en 661 de notre ère. En 668 CE Tarentum, toujours, comme toujours, une acquisition stratégiquement utile pour les envahisseurs, est entré dans la période médiévale avec fracas lorsque le duc lombard Romauld a saccagé la ville.

Vestiges Archéologiques

Tarente avait autrefois de grands complexes sacrés avec des temples impressionnants, mais du fait que la ville a été continuellement occupée depuis l'antiquité, la plupart de l'architecture ancienne à grande échelle a depuis longtemps été démantelée et réutilisée ailleurs dans des bâtiments plus modernes. Une exception sont les deux colonnes massives appartenant autrefois à un temple archaïque dédié à Poséidon. Ces colonnes se dressent maintenant dans le coin de la place municipale (pas leur emplacement d'origine) et leur taille massive fait allusion à l'énormité de ce temple aujourd'hui perdu.

Ce que Tarente peut manquer en architecture est plus que compensé par la richesse des objets mis au jour sur le site, la campagne environnante et le port lui-même. Beaucoup des exemples les plus beaux et les mieux conservés de poterie à figures noires et de poteries à figures rouges ont été découverts sur le site avec le magnifique musée MARTA de Tarente possédant une collection qui rivalise avec celle d'Athènes et du Vatican en termes de portée et d'art. Les bijoux en or sous forme de diadèmes, bagues, boucles d'oreilles et colliers avec des décorations minutieuses et élaborées en filigrane et en granulation sont une autre riche source de preuves qui souligne l'habileté des métallurgistes de Tarente et la richesse de la ville au IVe-IIIe siècle avant notre ère. De nombreux artefacts proviennent de tombes et aucun n'est plus intéressant que la tombe de l'athlète, la tombe d'un vainqueur de Tarente aux Jeux olympiques avec son disque, ses poids et ses têtes de javelot et, de manière touchante, le prix qu'il a remporté dans la vie. , l'amphore à figures noires remise à tous les gagnants.

Une mention spéciale doit être faite aux nombreuses mosaïques au sol des plus grandes résidences romaines de la ville. La plus grande et la mieux conservée est une mosaïque de la fin du IIe ou du début du IIIe siècle de notre ère avec quatre panneaux principaux représentant un enlèvement d'une nymphe et des scènes supplémentaires de chasse au léopard, au lion et au tigre. Des panneaux latéraux plus petits montrent des oiseaux et des fruits.

Une autre splendide mosaïque de sol a des formes purement géométriques et florales avec un grand cercle central dont les plis vélarium (rideau) reçoit une qualité presque tridimensionnelle grâce à l'utilisation de différentes nuances tesselles pièces. Cette mosaïque parfaitement carrée date du IIe siècle de notre ère et appartenait à une maison romaine ou domus dans le centre de Tarente.

Enfin, l'une des pièces phares de l'antique Tarente et qui accueille les visiteurs du musée archéologique est une statue en bronze de Zeus. Datant de c. 530 AEC, le personnage tenait autrefois un éclair dans une main et un aigle dans l'autre. La statue était à l'origine placée sur un chapiteau dorique en marbre et se trouvait dans un sanctuaire de la ville dédié à la tête des dieux de l'Olympe, un puissant rappel des origines grecques de l'une des villes antiques les plus riches et les plus influentes du sud de l'Italie.


Généalogie de Tarentum (dans le comté d'Allegheny, Pennsylvanie)

REMARQUE : Des enregistrements supplémentaires qui s'appliquent à Tarentum sont également disponibles sur les pages du comté d'Allegheny et de Pennsylvanie.

Actes de naissance de Tarente

Archives du cimetière de Tarente

Archives Web du cimetière du Sacré-Cœur des États-Unis

Cimetière Saint-Clément Un milliard de tombes

Archives Web de la génération américaine du cimetière St. Clement

Registres du recensement de Tarente

Recensement fédéral des États-Unis, 1790-1940 Recherche de famille

Registres paroissiaux de Tarente

Annuaires de la ville de Tarente

Actes de décès de Tarente

Dossiers d'immigration de Tarente

Registres fonciers de Tarente

Cartes de Tarente

Carte de Tarente, comté d'Allegheny, Pennsylvanie, 1901. Bibliothèque du Congrès

Carte d'assurance incendie de Sanborn de Tarentum, comté d'Allegheny, Pennsylvanie, février 1897 Bibliothèque du Congrès

Carte d'assurance incendie de Sanborn de Tarentum, comté d'Allegheny, Pennsylvanie, octobre 1891 Bibliothèque du Congrès

Actes de mariage de Tarente

Journaux et avis de décès de Tarente

Journaux hors ligne pour Tarente

Selon le US Newspaper Directory, les journaux suivants ont été imprimés, il peut donc y avoir des copies papier ou microfilm disponibles. Pour plus d'informations sur la façon de localiser les journaux hors ligne, consultez notre article sur la localisation des journaux hors ligne.

Allegheny Valley Times. (Tarente, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvanie) 1881-1888

Télégramme du soir. (Tarente, Pennsylvanie) 1914-1923

Télégramme de Tarente. (Tarente, Pennsylvanie) 1896-1914

Nouvelles quotidiennes de la vallée. (Tarente, Pennsylvanie) 1904-1968

Dossiers d'homologation de Tarente

Dossiers scolaires de Tarente

Dossiers fiscaux de Tarente

Ajouts ou corrections à cette page ? Nous accueillons vos suggestions via notre page Contactez-nous


Ligne du temps de l'histoire

(Valley New Dispatch – 23 juillet 1995)

1734 – Les Indiens Shawnee habitent la vallée d'Allegheny.

1795 – West Deer, East Deer, Frazer, Springdale, Springdale Township, Cheswick, Fawn, Tarentum, Brackenridge, Harrison, connu sous le nom de Deer Township.

1805 – Highway de Sharpsburg à Freeport a aménagé le pétrole découvert.

1821 – Maison Burtner construite.

1826 – Début de la construction du canal à travers la vallée.

1829 – Canal commence à fonctionner à Tarente.

1836 – Deer Township divisé en East et West Deer West Deer reste aujourd'hui tel qu'il était.

1842 – Tarentum se retire d'East Deer.

1852 – Première rangée de maisons construites sur Federal Street par la Penn Salt Manufacturing Co. pour les employés.

1853 – Canal rempli pour faire un lit pour les voies ferrées La famille Harrison s'installe au-dessus de Natrona.

1858 – Fawn se retire d'East Deer, mais contient toujours Harrison et Brackenridge d'aujourd'hui.

1860 – 800 hommes employés par la population de Penn Salt Natrona atteint 1 870.

1862 – Plus de 200 hommes de Natrona s'enrôlent pour servir dans l'armée de l'Union.

1863 – Harrison fait sécession de Fawn le 7 février.

1868 – Population Harrison signalée à 3 000.

1880 – Potts Mansion construit.

1888 – 72 heures par semaine, échelle salariale de 1 $ par jour chez Penn Salt.

1889 – West Penn Press organisé et situé à North Canal Street, imprime Natrona News.

1895 – Le premier chariot traverse Natrona, Tarentum Traction Company.

1896 – Un incendie détruit la raffinerie de métaux de Penn Salt Fidelity Glass Company commence à Brackenridge.

1901 - Brackenridge fait sécession de la Harrison First National Bank of Natrona organisée, située sur Federal Street.

1901 – Allegheny Iron and Steel commence ses activités.

1902 – Pond Street School construite.

1904 – Valley Daily News organisé par Charles Howe.

1906 – L'hôpital de la vallée est organisé et fonctionne à West Tarentum.

1907 – Natrona Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 est formée.

1907 – Les heures de travail dans l'industrie sidérurgique sont de 12 heures par jour, 24 heures un dimanche sur deux.

1918 – Le feu détruit L'épidémie de grippe de Penn Salt tue des centaines de personnes.

1920 – Premier camion de pompiers acheté par Natrona Fire Company pour 12 500 $ les premiers 40 pieds de béton achevés au barrage de Natrona.

1921 - Les travaux sur le barrage de Natrona sont interrompus en raison d'un manque d'argent. Ouverture du lycée Harbrack, 375 marches en bois construites de Natrona au sommet de la colline jusqu'à l'ouverture de l'école Citizens Bank of Natrona.

1923 – Le système sanitaire du canton de Harrison est partiellement opérationnel.

1927 - L'écluse n° 4 sur la rivière Allegheny est officiellement ouverte au trafic fluvial général. Le nom du bureau de poste de Birdville est changé en bureau de poste de Natrona Heights.

1929 – Birdville School construite.

1930 – Allegheny Steel Company fusionne avec West Penn Steel Company premier ramassage du courrier aérien à Natrona Air Field La Natrona Citizens National Bank fusionne avec la First National Bank of Natrona.

1931 – Harrison Township prélèvement fiscal à 7,5 mills.

1940 – Les bus prennent le relais de l'égout pluvial de Natrona sur la ligne de tramway et sont autorisés à passer de la colline aux rues Chestnut et Garfield en descendant la ruelle jusqu'à la rivière.


Nick J. Petrishen, propriétaire de Nick Chevrolet à Tarente, décède à 77 ans

Les bulletins d'information quotidiens et hebdomadaires de TribLIVE fournissent les nouvelles que vous voulez et les informations dont vous avez besoin, directement dans votre boîte de réception.

La nuit avant qu'il ne soit victime d'un accident vasculaire cérébral qui finira par lui coûter la vie, Nick Petrishen Jr. est allé avec son fils unique voir le film & ldquoFord contre Ferrari. & rdquo

"Il a vraiment apprécié tout le temps", a déclaré son fils Nick S. Petrishen, 50 ans, de Natrona Heights. &ldquoLa partie ironique est que l'homme local Chevy a deux coups après le film &lsquoFord v Ferrari&rsquo.&rdquo

Nick J. Petrishen Jr., propriétaire, exploitant et vice-président de Nick Chevrolet à Tarente pendant près de 60 ans, est décédé à son domicile le 29 novembre. Il avait 77 ans.

Personnage plus grand que nature connu pour s'être lié d'amitié avec les gens qui fréquentaient son concessionnaire et pour sa générosité à faire des dons à des causes communautaires, Petrishen était également un passionné d'automobile qui construisait des camions pousseurs, c'est-à-dire un camion avec une barre de poussée à l'avant pour obtenir un voiture de course a commencé.

Il a également assisté régulièrement à des courses du Lernerville Speedway à Sarver à Daytona Beach, en Floride.

&ldquoIl aimait les vieilles voitures musclées, tout ce qui pouvait aller vite. Dale Earnhardt (Sr.) était son favori », a déclaré Petrishen. &ldquoIl était proche de beaucoup de chauffeurs locaux. Après ses premiers coups, il était dans un fauteuil roulant et chaque fois que je l'emmenais, ils annonçaient à la foule qu'il était présent.

&ldquoNous venons de l'emmener à une course à Lernerville, et plusieurs des pilotes sont arrivés avant la course et se sont assis avec lui et lui ont parlé dans les gradins», a déclaré sa fille Michele Petrishen, 54 ans, de Bemus Point, N.Y.

Nick Petrishen Jr., comme ses quatre sœurs et un frère, a commencé à travailler dans son entreprise familiale chez Power City Motors à Springdale à l'adolescence. Il avait peu de choix en la matière, mais il était tout de même ravi de le faire, s'installant comme vendeur.

&ldquoIl est définitivement né et a été élevé pour cela,», a déclaré son fils Nick S. Petrishen. &ldquoIl avait l'habitude de dire à tout le monde qu'il avait le meilleur travail au monde parce qu'il avait été payé toute sa vie à (BS) en tant que vendeur de voitures.&rdquo

M. Petrishen avait un grand cœur et aimait aider les autres, soutenant financièrement l'athlétisme des écoles secondaires ainsi que les équipes de la Petite Ligue. Il a également apporté son soutien aux services de police et d'incendie locaux et à d'autres organisations caritatives.

&ldquoAprès son premier accident vasculaire cérébral, l'une des histoires que l'un des gars des SMU m'a racontée à l'hôpital était, &lsquoVotre père a fait un don aux services d'ambulance, mais il ne l'a pas fait par courrier, il l'a fait personnellement,&rsquo &rdquo Michele Petrishen a déclaré. &ldquoIl leur remettrait personnellement un chèque.&rdquo

Ses enfants ont convenu que leur père avait un sens de l'humour aiguisé, ce qui l'a aidé à survivre à ses deux premiers accidents vasculaires cérébraux.

Nick S. Petrishen s'est souvenu d'une histoire sur la façon dont son père a équipé un mannequin grandeur nature de M. Goodwrench chez le concessionnaire avec un chapeau, des lunettes, un faux pistolet et une cigarette allumée. Cela a surpris un employé de nettoyage chez le concessionnaire.

"Et l'histoire raconte qu'il est resté là avec ses mains en l'air pendant environ cinq minutes jusqu'à ce que la cigarette lui tombe de la bouche", a déclaré Nick S. Petrishen.

Une autre fille, Bridgette Ladie, 51 ans, du canton de Buffalo, s'est souvenue d'avoir emmené son père à un concert de Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Elle a dit que son père écoutait toujours les vieilles chansons.

&ldquoJe me souviens avoir été avec mon père au volant d'un cabriolet Caprice blanc, et j'étais sur le siège avant avec ma tête sur ses genoux, et la capote baissée et j'écoutais des vieux. Et je m'endormais simplement », a-t-elle déclaré.

M. Petrishen laisse dans le deuil son épouse depuis 55 ans, Loretta Susan (Szymkowiak), les enfants de Petrishen Michele Petrishen de Bemus Point, NY, Bridgette Ladie de Buffalo Township et Nick S. Petrishen de Natrona Heights trois petits-enfants et quatre arrière-petits-enfants et frères et sœurs Carol Ann Koprivnikar de Natrona Heights, Rose Mary Koprivnikar de Natrona Heights, Janice Langham de Lower Burrell, John J. Petrishen de Lower Burrell et Sue Zaleski de Natrona Heights.

Paul Guggenheimer est un rédacteur de Tribune-Review. Vous pouvez contacter Paul au 724-226-7706 ou [email protected]

Soutenez le journalisme local et aidez-nous à continuer à couvrir les histoires qui comptent pour vous et votre communauté.

Les newsletters quotidiennes et hebdomadaires de TribLIVE livrent les nouvelles que vous voulez et les informations dont vous avez besoin, directement dans votre boîte de réception.


La fondation historique de Tarente fêtera son 35e anniversaire

Les newsletters quotidiennes et hebdomadaires de TribLIVE livrent les nouvelles que vous voulez et les informations dont vous avez besoin, directement dans votre boîte de réception.

Pour commémorer les 35 ans de sa fondation, la Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation Inc. organisera un dîner le 30 mai.

La fondation, créée et constituée le 11 mai 1973, étudie et compile l'histoire locale, a déclaré le directeur exécutif de la fondation, Robert Lucas. Il a déclaré que la fondation est importante car elle fournit "un aperçu approfondi de l'histoire" de la région.

Le 11 mai est également la date de naissance d'Henry Marie Brackenridge, fondateur de Tarentum. La ville a été aménagée en 1829, a déclaré Lucas. Bien que les premiers colons aient commencé à s'installer dans la vallée dans les années 1790, Lucas a déclaré qu'elle n'était considérée à l'abri des massacres d'Indiens qu'en 1796.

La fondation publie un magazine trimestriel, le Tarentum Times, qui est envoyé à ses membres. Cindy Homburg, membre du conseil d'administration, a déclaré que chaque numéro contient "différentes histoires de l'ancienne Tarente et des images de l'ancienne Tarente".

La fondation compile également des feuilles de papier journal, qui sont éventuellement transformées en microfilms. Il conserve également des fichiers généalogiques, met des plaques de repère sur les bâtiments et recueille des photographies de la région, a déclaré Lucas.

Lucas a déclaré qu'il était important pour les résidents et les membres de la fondation de mettre une pièce d'identité au dos des photographies. Les résidents peuvent faire don de matériel historique, y compris des photographies, à la fondation en contactant Lucas.

La fondation collecte des matériaux historiques, mais pas d'artefacts, a déclaré Lucas.

"Nous nous concentrons principalement sur l'histoire et les gens, et leurs contributions dans le nord-est du comté d'Allegheny", a-t-il déclaré.

Lucas, un résident de Tarente, a déclaré que les membres de la fondation sont dispersés dans tout le pays. Plus de 700 personnes se sont jointes depuis 1973, et certaines vivent aussi loin que le Canada, l'Alaska, Hawaï et la Californie, a-t-il déclaré.

Les membres et le public sont invités au dîner, qui sera préparé par Robin & Company de Freeport. Ce sera le premier dîner que la fondation organise en cinq ans.

Après le dîner, un diaporama de Tarente il y a 100 ans sera projeté. Des souvenirs et des cartes postales de Homburg seront exposés.

La fondation ne possède pas de propriété. Lucas gère les finances de la fondation depuis son bureau à domicile, et les réunions du conseil d'administration ont lieu à la First United Presbyterian Church, les membres de la Fondation de la rue Lock 913 élisent les membres du conseil d'administration.

"C'est une organisation amusante et amusante", a déclaré Homburg, "et c'est formidable pour les gens qui aiment l'histoire et veulent la préserver." Information additionnelle:

À venir

Qui : Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation Inc.

Quoi : Dîner pour commémorer le 35e anniversaire de la fondation.

Où : First United Presbyterian Church, 913, rue Lock, Tarente.

Détails : Les billets coûtent 10 $ et doivent être achetés avant aujourd'hui.

Ils sont disponibles aux emplacements Harrison et Tarentum de la bibliothèque communautaire d'Allegheny Valley.

Les billets sont également disponibles en envoyant un chèque aujourd'hui à la Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation au P.O. Box 1776 Tarentum, PA 15084. Les demandes envoyées par la poste doivent être reçues au plus tard le mardi. Information additionnelle:

Comment adhérer

Les personnes intéressées peuvent envoyer leur cotisation annuelle de 10 $ à la Tarentum History and Landmarks Foundation Inc. à P.O. Boîte 1776 Tarente, PA 15084.

Soutenez le journalisme local et aidez-nous à continuer à couvrir les histoires qui comptent pour vous et votre communauté.

Les newsletters quotidiennes et hebdomadaires de TribLIVE livrent les nouvelles que vous voulez et les informations dont vous avez besoin, directement dans votre boîte de réception.


Visite des monuments historiques de Tarente pour marquer le 175e anniversaire de l'arrondissement

Entrée : gratuite, mais les réservations sont recommandées. Appelez le 724-612-0076. Un deuxième tour en bus débutera à 13 h. si les réserves le justifient.

Les newsletters quotidiennes et hebdomadaires de TribLIVE livrent les nouvelles que vous voulez et les informations dont vous avez besoin, directement dans votre boîte de réception.

Tarente a accumulé de nombreux points de repère au cours de ses 175 ans d'histoire.

Et samedi, ces monuments auront des histoires à raconter.

Une visite en bus de 15 sites historiques de Tarente commencera à 10 h au snack-bar de Riverview Park.

L'hôtesse et historienne locale Cindy Homburg guidera ceux qui font le voyage vers les monuments et racontera les antécédents de chacun.

"La visite durera environ deux heures", a déclaré Homburg. « Nous pourrons entrer dans certains, mais pas tous, des points de repère. »

Un arrêt sera la maison Malarkey sur East 10th Avenue, construite en 1892 et maintenant le siège du cabinet d'avocats Paz, Paz and Paz.

"C'était la maison funéraire Walters des années 1940 jusqu'à ce que notre famille l'achète en 1984", a déclaré l'avocat John Paz. "Je savais que c'était un très vieux bâtiment. Nous ne l'avons pas acheté pour son histoire, mais nous l'avons restauré."

Paz a installé des papiers peints historiques de style Willliamsburg, fermé le porche et placé des meubles pour compléter l'architecture de l'époque de l'Empire français.

L'ancienne salle à manger a été restaurée en salle de conférence.

"Il y aurait un bouton pour invoquer la servante," dit Paz. "Il y avait une salle de bal au troisième étage, et il y avait un escalier menant au toit."

La brique Malarkey House a été fournie par la McFetridge Brick Co. de Creighton.

"L'endroit est magnifique", a déclaré Homburg. "Après que la famille Malarkey l'ait construit, ils sont partis dans l'Ouest, mais sont retournés à Tarente."

D'autres bâtiments avec des plaques de désignation de point de repère historique incluent le Pollock Masonic Lodge sur Lock Street, construit en 1907.

La loge a été nommée en l'honneur du Grand Maître adjoint de district Alexander M. Pollock.

"C'est à peu près le seul point de repère encore utilisé pour la raison pour laquelle il a été construit", a déclaré Homburg.

L'un des autres points de repère est le Lardin House Hotel, situé au coin de la quatrième avenue et de la rue Wood.

L'un des premiers hôtels de Tarente, il a été construit en 1864 par Daniel Lardin.

Parmi les invités notables figuraient le président William Howard Taft, le pionnier Kit Carson et l'avocat de la tempérance Carrie Nation, qui ont donné une conférence à l'église méthodiste libre de Tarentum sur les péchés de l'alcool et du tabagisme.

John B. Ford, fondateur de l'industrie américaine du verre plat et de l'arrondissement de Ford City, a séjourné à la maison Lardin lorsqu'il a découvert que le sable sur les rives de la rivière Allegheny était propice à la fabrication du verre.

Les autres arrêts de la visite incluront la gare ferroviaire de Tarentum, l'ancienne grange pour chariots et bus qui abrite maintenant Highland Tire, l'ancien YMCA, l'école élémentaire Grandview, anciennement Tarentum High School, la pharmacie Chapman, au coin de Lock et Fifth the Kennedy Bank. à Lock et Fifth la Humes House sur East Ninth la Kennedy House sur Lock Street le Riverview Park monument le blockhaus où Bull Creek rencontre la rivière Allegheny et la désignation historique du fondateur de Tarentum, le juge Henry Marie Brackenridge, à la First Commonwealth Bank, coin de Sixième Est et Corbet.

La visite fait partie de la célébration du 175e anniversaire de Tarentum.

George Guido est un écrivain indépendant.

Soutenez le journalisme local et aidez-nous à continuer à couvrir les histoires qui comptent pour vous et votre communauté.


À propos de la Société historique Alle-Kiski

La Société historique Alle-Kiski, située à Tarentum, PA, est une organisation locale dédiée à l'étude et à la préservation de l'histoire de Tarentum. La Société historique favorise une appréciation du passé, en mettant l'accent sur l'histoire locale. En plus de collecter et de préserver des artefacts historiques, des photographies et des histoires personnelles, la Société historique mène des recherches sur les familles et les entreprises locales du comté d'Allegheny, qu'elle présente au public par le biais d'expositions. La Société historique fournit également des documents historiques publics.


Église catholique byzantine Saints Pierre et Paul Tarentum, PA

À la date de naissance de SS. Peter and Paul Church, le 3 juillet 1918, environ 75 familles d'origine rusyne et hongroise se sont rencontrées dans l'arrondissement de Brackenridge. La paroisse a été légalement constituée le 19 juillet 1918. Peu de temps après, la paroisse a acheté une église et une maison sur Mile Lock Lane à Brackenridge.

Le premier curé résident, l'abbé Gabriel Chopey, est nommé en 1921. La paroisse est florissante. Divers groupes paroissiaux ont été organisés, y compris les sociétés de l'autel et du chapelet, la société chorale et le club des hommes. Au fur et à mesure que la congrégation grandissait, ils décidèrent de transférer le site de l'église de Brackenridge à West Tarentum. En 1929, la paroisse a acheté la salle Saint-Pierre et sa propriété attenante sur la huitième avenue ouest à Tarentum. Ils ont transformé ce bâtiment en église paroissiale qui a servi la paroisse pendant les 25 prochaines années.

En 1952, l'évêque Daniel Ivancho a nommé le père Michael G. Pipik comme pasteur avec des instructions pour construire une nouvelle église dans une zone appropriée. Après une longue recherche, la paroisse a eu la chance d'obtenir le domaine Smith au 339 East Tenth Avenue et la propriété adjacente. Le premier projet fut de réaménager la maison, qui devint le presbytère paroissial. Il a été béni le 15 novembre 1953.

Le sol a été jeté pour la nouvelle église le 4 avril 1954. L'église a été solennellement consacrée par Mgr Nicholas Elko le 6 mai 1956. Mgr Elko est retourné à l'église le 8 juin 1958, pour bénir les vitraux, les peintures murales et sanctuaires de marbre. Le 4 mai 1969, la paroisse a célébré son 50e anniversaire lorsque l'évêque Stephen J. Kocisko (à l'époque archevêque désigné de l'archéparchie nouvellement créée) a béni la nouvelle table sainte en marbre (autel) de l'église.

Les membres de la paroisse résident dans les quatre comtés d'Allegheny Valley : les comtés d'Allegheny, d'Armstrong, de Butler et de Westmoreland. Le complexe paroissial est situé le long de East Tenth Avenue, qui est la principale artère reliant Natrona Heights, Brackenridge et Tarentum. Il se trouve à moins d'un pâté de maisons de Tarentum Bridge Road (anciennement sortie 14 de la route 28 Allegheny Valley expressway), qui traverse la rivière Allegheny jusqu'à New Kensington, Lower Burrell et Arnold. L'église est visible à la fois depuis les rampes de sortie de la route 28 et depuis le pont de Tarentum en traversant de New Kensington.

Ces dernières années, des efforts substantiels ont été entrepris pour entretenir et mettre à jour les propriétés paroissiales. De nouveaux systèmes de chauffage et de climatisation ont été installés dans l'église et le presbytère. En 1998, une nouvelle moquette a été installée dans l'église et un verre de protection a été placé sur tous les vitraux. Le presbytère a une toiture, des salles de bains et un sol neufs.

SS. L'église Pierre-et-Paul, avec ses pans de grès coloré et son toit en ardoise rouge, demeure un joyau du quartier et de la communauté.


Dictionnaire de géographie grecque et romaine (1854) William Smith, LLD, éd.

Masquer la barre de navigation Votre position actuelle dans le texte est indiquée en bleu. Cliquez n'importe où sur la ligne pour passer à une autre position :

Ce texte fait partie de :
Afficher le texte divisé par :
Table des matières:

TARENTE

Tarente était une ville grecque, une colonie de Sparte, fondée quelques années après les deux colonies achéennes de Sybaris et Crotone. Les circonstances qui ont conduit à sa fondation sont liées avec quelques variantes par Antiochus et Ephorus (tous deux cités par Strabon), mais les deux auteurs s'accordent sur le fait principal que les colons étaient un groupe de jeunes hommes, nés pendant la première guerre de Messénie dans des circonstances qui a jeté sur leur naissance une tache d'illégitimité, à cause de laquelle ils ont été traités avec mépris par les autres citoyens et après une tentative avortée de créer une révolution à Sparte, ils ont décidé d'émigrer en corps sous un chef nommé Phalanthus. Ils se distinguaient par l'épithète de Partheniae, en allusion à leur origine. Phalanthus, qui faisait apparemment lui-même partie de la classe décriée et avait été le chef des conjurés de Sparte, après avoir consulté l'oracle de Delphes, devint le chef et le fondateur de la nouvelle colonie. (Antiochus, ap. Strab. vi. p.278 Ephore, Ib. p. 279 Serv. annonce Aen. 3.551 Diode. 15,66 Justin, 3.4 Scymne. Ch. 332 .) Antiochus et Ephorus les représentent comme s'établissant sans difficulté sur place, et reçus d'une manière amicale par les indigènes et c'est beaucoup plus probable que la déclaration de Pausanias, selon laquelle ils se sont trouvés dans une guerre constante et c'était ce n'est qu'après une longue lutte qu'ils purent se rendre maîtres de Tarente. ( Pause. 10.10.6 .) Le même auteur représente cette ville comme précédemment occupée par les tribus indigènes, et déjà une grande et puissante ville, mais cela est hautement improbable. The name, however, is probably of native origin, and seems to have been derived front that of the small river or stream which always continued to be known as the Taras though, as usual, the Greeks derived it from an eponymous hero named Taras, who was represented as a son of Neptune and a nymph of the country. (Paus. Ib. § 8.) It is certain that the hero Taras continued to be an object of special worship at Tarentum, while Phalanthus, who was revered as their Oekist, was frequently associated with him, and gradually became the subject of many legends of a very mythical character, in some of which he appears to have been confounded with Taras himself. ( Pause. 10.10 . § § 6--8, 13.10 Serv. annonce Aen. l.c.) Nevertheless, there is no reason to doubt the historical character of Phalanthus, or the Lacedaemonian origin of Tarentum, which was confirmed by numerous local names and religious observances still retained there down to a very late period. (Pol. 8.30, 35.) The Roman poets also abound in allusions to this origin of the Tarentines. ( Hor. Carme. 3.5.56 , 2.6. 11 Ovid. Rencontré. 15.50, &c.) The date of the foundation of Tarentum is given by Hieronymus as B.C. 708, and this, which is in accordance with the circumstances related in connection with it, is probably correct, though no other author has mentioned the precise date. (Hieron. Chron. ad Ol. xviii.)

The history of Tarentum, for the first two centuries of its existence, is, like that of most other cities of Magna Graecia, almost wholly unknown. But the main fact is well attested that it attained to great power and prosperity, though apparently at first overshadowed by the superior power of the Achaean cities, so that it was not till a later period that it assumed the predominant position among the cities of Magna Graecia, which it ultimately attained. There can be no doubt that it owed this prosperity mainly to the natural advantages of its situation. ( Scymn. Ch. 332 - 336 Strab. vi. p.278 .) Though its territory was not so fertile, or so well adapted for the growth of grain as those of Metapontum and Siris, it was admirably suited for the growth of olives, and its pastures produced wool of the finest quality, while its port, or inner sea as it was called, abounded in shell-fish of all descriptions, among which the Murex, which produced the celebrated purple dye, was the most important and valuable. But it was especially the excellence of its port to which Tarentum owed its rapid rise to opulence and power. This was not only landlocked and secure, but was the only safe harbour of any extent on the whole shores of the Tarentine gulf and as neither Brundusium nor Hydruntum, on the opposite side of the Messapian peninsula, had as yet attained to any eminence, or fallen into the hands of a seafaring people, the port of Tarentum became the chief emporium for the commerce of all this part of Italy. (Pol. 10.1 Flor. 1.18.3 .) The story of Arion, as related by Herodotus ( 1.24 ) indicates the existence of extensive commercial relations with Corinth and other cities of Greece as early as the reign of Periander, B.C. 625--585.

As the Tarentines gradually extended their power over the adjoining territories, they naturally came into frequent collision with the native tribes of the interior,--the Messapians and Peucetians and the first events of their history recorded to us relate to their wars with these nations. Their offerings at Delphi noticed by Pausanias ( 10.10.6 , 13.10 ), recorded victories over both these nations, in one of which it appears that Opis, making of the Iapygians, who had come to the assistance of the Peucetians, was slain but we have no knowledge of the dates or circumstances of these battles. It would appear, however, that the Tarentines were continually gaining ground, and making themselves masters of the Messapian towns one after the other, until their progress was checked by a great disaster, their own forces, together with those of the Rhegians, who had been sent to their assistance, being totally defeated by the barbarians with great slaughter. ( Hdt. 7.170 Diode. 11.52 .). So heavy was their [p. 2.1096] loss that Herodotus, without stating the numbers, says it was the greatest slaughter of Greeks that had occurred up to his time. The loss seems to have fallen especially upon the nobles and wealthier citizens, so that it became the occasion of a political revolution, and the government, which had previously been an aristocracy, became thenceforth a pure democracy. (Arist. Pol. 5.3.) Of the internal condition and constitution of Tarentum previously to this time, we know scarcely anything, but it seems probable that its institutions were at first copied from those of the parent city of Sparta. Aristotle speaks of its government as a πολίτεια, in the sense of a mixed government or commonwealth while Herodotus incidentally notices a king of Tarentum (3.156), not long before the Persian War, who was doubtless a king after the Spartan model. The institutions of a democratic tendency noticed with commendation by Aristotle ( Aristot. Pol. 6.5 ) probably belong to the later and democratic period of the constitution. We hear but little also of Tarentum in connection with the revolutions arising out of the influence exercised by the Pythagoreans: that sect had apparently not established itself so strongly there as in the Achaean cities though many Tarentines are enumerated among the disciples of Pythagoras, and it is clear that the city had not altogether escaped their influence. (Iambl. Vit. Pyth. 262, 266 Porphyr. Vit. Pyth. 56.)

The defeat of the Tarentines by the Messapians, which is referred by Diodorus to B.C. 473 ( Diode. 11.52 ), is the first event in the history of Tarentum to which we can assign a definite date. Great as that blow may have been, it did not produce any permanent effect in checking the progress of the city, which still appears as one of the most flourishing in Magna Graecia. We next hear of the Tarentines as interfering to prevent the Thurians, who had been recently established in Italy, from making themselves masters of the district of the Siritis. On what grounds the Tarentines could lay claim to this district, which was separated from them by the intervening territory of Metapontum, we are not informed but they carried on war for some time against the Thurians, who were supported by the Spartan exile Cleandridas until at length the dispute was terminated by a compromise, and a new colony named Heracleia was founded in the contested territory (B.C. 432), in which the citizens of both states participated, but it was agreed that it should be considered as a colony of Tarentum. (Antioch. ap. Strab. vi. p.264 Diode. 12.23 , 36 .) At the time of the Athenian expedition to Sicily, the Tarentines kept aloof from the contest, and contented themselves with refusing all supplies and assistance to the Athenian fleet ( Thuc. 6.44 ), while they afforded shelter to the Corinthian and Laconian ships under Gylippus (Ib. 104), but they did not even prevent the second fleet under Demosthenes and Eurymedon from touching at the islands of the Choerades, immediately opposite to the entrance of their harbour, and taking on board some auxiliaries furnished by the Messapians. (Id. 7.33.)

Another long interval now elapses, during which the history of Tarentum is to us almost a blank yet the few notices we hear of the city represent it as in a state of great prosperity. We are told that at one time (apparently about 380--360 B.C.) Archytas, the Pythagorean philosopher, exercised a paramount influence over the government, and filled the office of Strategus or general no less than seven times, though it was prohibited by law to hold it more than once and was successful in every campaign. ( D. L. 8.4 . § § 79--82.) It is evident, therefore, that the Tarentines were far from enjoying unbroken peace. The hostilities alluded to were probably but a renewal of their old warfare with the Messapians but the security of the Greek cities in Italy was now menaced by two more formidable foes, Dionysius of Syracuse in the south, and the Lucanians on the north and west. The Tarentines, indeed seem to have at first looked upon both dangers with comparative indifference: their remote position secured them from the immediate brunt of the attack, and it is even doubtful whether they at first joined in the general league of the Greek cities to resist the danger which threatened them. Meanwhile, the calamities which befel the more southern cities, the destruction of some by Dionysius, and the humiliation of others, tended only to raise Tarentum in comparison, while that city itself enjoyed an immunity from all hostile attacks and it seems certain that it was at this period that Tarentum first rose to the preponderating position among the Greek cities in Italy, which it thenceforth enjoyed without a rival. It was apparently as an acknowledgment of that superiority, that when Tarentum had joined the confederacy of the Greek cities, the place of meeting of their congress was fixed at the Tarentine colony of Heracleia. ( Strab. vi. p.280 .)

It was impossible for the Tarentines any longer to keep aloof from the contest with the Lucanians, whose formidable power was now beginning to threaten all the cities in Magna Graecia and they now appear as taking a leading part in opposing the progress of those barbarians. But they were not content with their own resources, and called in successively to their assistance several foreign leaders and generals of renown. The first of these was the Spartan king Archidamus, who crossed over into Italy with a considerable force. Of his operations there we have no account, but he appears to have carried on the war for some years, as Diodorus places his first landing in Italy in B.C. 346, while the battle in which he was defeated and slain was not fought till the same time as that of Chaeroneia, B.C. 338. ( Diode. 16.63 , 88 .) This action, in which Archidamus himself, and almost all the troops which he had brought with him from Greece perished, was fought (as we are told), not with the Lucanians, but with the Messapians, in the neighbourlhood of Manduria, only 24 miles from Tarentum (Plut. Agis. 3 Pause. 3.10.5 Diode. l.c.) but there can be no doubt, however, that both nations were united, and that the Lucanians lent their support to the Messapians, as the old enemies of Tarentum. Henceforth, indeed, we find both names continually united. A few years after the death of Archidamus, Alexander, king of Epirus, was invited by the Tarentines, and landed in Italy, B.C. 332. The operations of his successive campaigns, which were continued till B.C. 326, are very imperfectly known to us, but he appears to have first turned his arms against the Messapians, and compelled them to conclude a peace with the Tarentines, before he proceeded to make war upon the Lucanians and Bruttians. But his arms were attended with considerable success in this quarter also: he defeated the Samnites and Lucanians in a great battle near Paestum, and penetrated into the heart of the Bruttian [p. 2.1097] territory. Meanwhile, however, he had quarrelled with his allies the Tarentines, so that he turned against them, took their colony of Heracleia, and endeavoured to transfer the congress of the Greek cities from thence to a place on the river Acalandrus, in the territory of Thurii. ( Strab. vi. p.280 Liv. 8.24 Seulement. 12.2 .) Hence his death, in B.C. 226, only liberated the Tarentines from an enemy instead of depriving them of an ally. They appear from this time to have either remained tranquil or carried on the contest single-handed, till B.C. 303, when we find them again invoking foreign assistance, and, as on a former occasion, sending to Sparta for aid. This was again furnished them, and a large army of mercenaries landed at Tarentum under Cleonymus, the uncle of the Spartan king. But though he compelled the Messapians and Lucanians to sue for peace, Cleonymus soon alienated the minds of his Greek allies by his arrogance and luxurious habits, and became the object of general hatred before he quitted Italy. ( Diode. 20.104 .) According to Strabo, the Tarentines subsequently called in the assistance of Agathocles ( Strab. vi. p.280 ) but we find no mention of this elsewhere, and Diodorus tells us that he concluded an alliance with the Iapygians and Peucetians, which could hardly have been done with favourable intentions towards Tarentum. (Diod. xxi. p. 490.)

Not long after this the Tarentines first came into collision with a more formidable foe than their neighbours, the Messapians and Lucanians. The wars of the Romans with the Samnites, in which the descendants of the latter people, the Apulians and Lucanians, were from time to time involved, had rendered the name and power of Rome familiar to the Greek cities on the Tarentine gulf and coast of the Adriatic, though their arms were not carried into that part of Italy till about B.C. 283, when they rendered assistance to the Thurians against the Lucanians [THURII]. But long before this, as early as the commencement of the Second Samnite War (B.C. 326), the Tarentines are mentioned in Roman history as supporting the Neapolitans with promises of succour, which, however, they never sent and afterwards exciting the Lucanians to war against the Romans. ( Liv. 8.27 .) Again, in B.C. 321 we are told that they sent a haughty embassy to command the Samnites and Romans to desist from hostilities, and threatened to declare war on whichever party refused to obey. (Id. 9.14.) But on this occasion also they did not put their threat in execution. At a subsequent period, probably about B.C. 303 (Arnold's Rome, vol. ii. p. 315), the Tarentines concluded a treaty with Rome, by which it was stipulated that no Roman ships of war should pass the Lacinian cape. (Appian, Samnit. 7.) It was therefore a direct breach of this treaty when, in B.C. 302, a Roman squadron of ten ships under L. Cornelius, which had been sent to the assistance of the Thurians, entered the Tarentine gulf, and even approached within sight of the city. The Tarentines, whose hostile disposition was already only half concealed, and who are said to have been the prime movers in organising the confederacy against Rome which led to the Fourth Samnite War ( Zonar. 8.2 .), immediately attacked the Roman ships, sunk four of them, and took one. After this they proceeded to attack the Thurians on account of their having called in the Romans, expelled the Roman garrison, and made themselves masters of the city. (Appian, Samn. 7.1 Zonar. 8.2 .) The Romans sent an embassy to Tarentum to complain of these outrages but their demands being refused, and their ambassador treated with contunmely, they had now no choice but to declare war upon the Tarentines, B.C. 281. (Appian, l.c. § 2 Zonar. l.c. Dio Cass. Fr. 145.) Nevertheless, the war was at first carried on with little energy but meanwhile the Tarentines, following their usual policy, had invited Pyrrhus, king of Epirus, to their assistance. That monarch readily accepted the overture, and sent over his general Milo to occupy the citadel of Tarentum with 3000 men, while he himself followed in the winter. ( Zonar. 8.2 Plut. Pyrrh. 15 , 16 .)

It is usual to represent the Tarentines as at this period sunk in luxury and effeminacy, so that they were unable to defend themselves, and hence compelled to have recourse to the assistance of Pyrrhus. But there is certainly much exaggeration in this view. They were no doubt accustomed to rely much upon the arms of mercenaries, but so were all the more wealthy cities of Greece and it is certain that the Tarentines themselves (apart from their allies and mercenaries), furnished not only a considerable body of cavalry, but a large force or phalanx of heavy-armed infantry, called the Leucaspids, from their white shields, who are especially mentioned as serving under Pyrrhus at the battle of Asculum. (Dionys. xx. Fr. Didot. 1, 5.) It is unnecessary here to repeat the history of the campaigns of that, monarch. His first successes for a time saved Tarentum itself from the brunt of the war: but when he at length, after his final defeat by Curius, withdrew from Italy (B.C. 274), it was evident that the full weight of the Roman arms would fall upon Tarentum. Pyrrhus, indeed, left Milo with a garrison to defend the city, but the Tarentines themselves were divided into two parties, the one of which was disposed to submit to Rome, while the other applied for assistance to Carthage. A Carthaginian fleet was actually sent to Tarentum, but it arrived too late, for Milo had already capitulated and surrendered the citadel into the hands of the Roman consul Papirius, B.C. 272. ( Zonar. 8.6 Oros. 4.3 .)

From this time Tarentum continued subject to Rome. The inhabitants were indeed left in possession of their own laws and nominal independence, but the city was jealously watched and a Roman legion seems to have been commonly stationed there. (Pol. 2.24.) During the First Punic War the Tarentines are mentioned as furnishing ships to the Romans (Pol. 1.20): but with this exception we hear no more of it till the Second Punic War, when it became a military post of great importance. Hannibal was from an early period desirous to make himself master of the city, which, with its excellent port, would at once have secured his communications with Africa. It is evident also that there was a strong Carthaginian party in the city, who shortly after the battle of Cannae, opened negotiations with Hannibal, and renewed them upon a subsequent occasion ( Liv. 22.61 , 24.13 ) but they were kept down by the presence of the Roman garrison, and it was not till B.C. 212 that Nico and Philemenus, two of the leaders of this party, found an opportunity to betray the city into his hands. ( Liv. 25.8 - 10 Pol. 8.26--33.) Even then the Roman garrison still held the citadel and Hannibal having failed in his attempts to carry this fortress by assault, was compelled to resort to a blockade. He cut it off on [p. 2.1098] the land side by drawing a double line of fortifications across the isthmus, and made himself master of the sea by dragging a part of the fleet which was shut up within the inner port (or Mare Piccolo), across the narrowest part of the isthmus, and launching it again in the outer bay. (Pol. 8.34--36 Liv. 25.11 .) This state of things continued for more than two years, during the whole of which time the Carthaginians continued masters of the city, while the Roman garrison still maintained possession of the citadel, and the besiegers were unable altogether to prevent them from receiving supplies from without, though on one occasion the Romans, having sent a considerable fleet under D. Quintius to attempt the relief of the place, this was met by the Tarentines, and after an obstinate conflict the Roman fleet was defeated and destroyed. ( Liv. 25.15 , 26.39 , 27.3 .) At length in B.C. 209 Fabius determined if possible to wrest from Hannibal the possession of this important post and laid siege to Tarentum while the Carthaginian general was opposed to Marcellus. He himself encamped on the N. of the port, close to the entrance, so that he readily put himself in communication with M. Livius, the commander of the citadel. But while he was preparing his ships and engines for the assault, an accident threw in his way the opportunity of surprising the city, of which he made himself master with little difficulty. The Carthaginian garrison was put to the sword, as well as a large part of the inhabitants, and the whole city was given up to plunder. (Id. 27.12, 15, 16 Plut. Fab. 21 - 23 .) Livy praises the magnanimity of Fabius in not carrying off the statues and other works of art in which Tarentum abounded ( Liv. 27.16 Plut. Fab. 23 ) but it is certain that he transferred from thence to Rome a celebrated statue of Hercules by Lysippus, which long continued to adorn the Capitol. ( Strab. vi. p.278 Plin. Nat. 34.7. s. 18 .) The vast quantity of gold and silver which fell into the hands of the victors sufficiently bears out the accounts of the great wealth of the Tarentines. (Liv. l.c.

Tarentum had already suffered severely on its capture by Hannibal, and there can be no doubt that it sustained a still severer blow when it was retaken by Fabius. ( Strab. vi. p.278 .) It was at first proposed to degrade it to a condition similar to that of Capua, but this was opposed by Fabius, and the decision was postponed till after the war. ( Liv. 27.25 .) What the final resolution of the senate was, we know not but Tarentum is alluded to at a subsequent period, as still retaining its position of an allied city, “urbs foederata.” ( Liv. 35.16 .) It is certain that it still remained the chief place in this part of Italy, and was the customary residence of the praetor or other magistrate who was sent to the S. of Italy. Thus we find in B.C. 185, L. Postumius sent thither to carry on investigations into the conspiracies that had arisen out of the Bacchanalian rites, as well as among the slave population. ( Liv. 39.29 , 41 .) But it is nevertheless clear that it was (in common with the other Greek cities of this part of Italy) fallen into a state of great decay and hence, in B.C. 123, among the colonies sent out by C. Gracchus, was one to Tarentum, which appears to have assumed the title of Colonia Neptunia. ( Vell. 1.15 Plin. Nat. 3.11. s. 16 see Mommsen, in Berichte der Sächsischen Gesellschaft for 1849, pp. 49--51.) According to Strabo this colony became a flourishing one, and the city enjoyed considerable prosperity in his day. But it was greatly fallen from its former splendour, and only occupied the site of the ancient citadel, with a small part of the adjoining isthmus. ( Strab. vi. p.278 .) It was, however, one of the few cities which still retained the Greek language and manners, in common with Neapolis and Rhegium. (Ib. p. 253.) The salubrity of its climate, as well as the fertility of its territory, and, above all, the importance of its port, preserved it from the complete decay into which so many of the cities of Magna Graecia fell under the Roman government. It is repeatedly mentioned during the civil wars between Octavian, Antony, and Sex. Pompeius as a naval station of importance and it was there that in B.C. 36 a fresh arrangement was come to between Octavian and Antony, which we find alluded to by Tacitus as the “Tarentinum foedus.” (Appian, App. BC 2.40 , 5.50 , 80 , 84 , 93 --99 Tac. Anne. 1.10.

Even under the Empire Tarentum continued to be one of the chief seaports of Italy, though in some measure eclipsed by the growing importance of Brundusium. ( Tac. Anne. 14.12 , Hist. 2.83.) An additional colony of veterans was sent there under Nero, but with little effect, most of them having soon again dispersed. ( Tac. Anne. 14.27. ) No subsequent mention of Tarentum is found in history until after the fall of the Western Empire, but it then appears as a considerable town, and bears an important part in the Gothic Wars on account of its strength as a fortress, and the excellence of its port. (Procop. B.G. 3.23, 27, 37, 4.26, 34.) It was taken by Belisarius, but retaken by Totila in A.D. 549, and continued in the hands of the Goths till it was finally wrested from them by Narses. From that time it continued subject to the Byzantine Empire till A.D. 661, when it was taken by the Lombard Romoaldus, duke of Beneventum (P. Diac. 6.1) and afterwards fell successively into the hands of the Saracens and the Greek emperors. The latter did not finally lose their hold of it till it was taken by Robert Guiscard in 1063. It has ever since formed part of the kingdom of Naples. The modern city of Tarentum has a population of about 20,000 souls it is the see of an archbishop, and still ranks as the most important city in this part of Italy. But it is confined to the space occupied by the ancient citadel, the extremity of the peninsula or promontory between the two ports: this is now an island, the low isthmus which connected it with the mainland having been cut through by king Ferdinand I., for the purpose of strengthening its fortifications.

Scarcely any remains are now extant of the celebrated and opulent city of Tarentum. “Never (says Swinburne) was a place more completely swept off the face of the earth.” Some slight remains of an amphitheatre (of course of Roman date) are visible outside the walls of the modern city while within it the convent of the Celestines is built on the foundations of an ancient temple. Even the extent of the ancient city can be very imperfectly determined. A few slight vestiges of the ancient walls are, however, visible near an old church which bears the name of Sta Maria di Murveta, about 2 miles from the gates of the modern city and there is no doubt that the walls extended from thence, on the one side to the Mare Piccolo, on the other side to the outer sea. The general form of the city was thus triangular, having the citadel at the apex, which is now joined to the opposite shore by a [p. 2.1099] bridge of seven arches. This was already the case in Strabo's time, though no mention of it is found at the time of the siege by Hannibal.

The general form and arrangement of the city cannot be better described than they are by Strabo. He says: “While the whole of the rest of the Tarentine gulf is destitute of ports, there is here a very large and fair port, closed at the entrance by a large bridge, and not less than 100 stadia in circumference. [This is beneath the truth: the Mare Piccolo is more than 16 miles (128 stadia) in circuit.] On the side towards the inner recess of the port it forms an isthmus with the exterior sea, so that the city lies upon a peninsula and the neck of the isthmus is so low that ships can easily be drawn over the land from one side to the other. The whole city also lies low, but rises a little towards the citadel. The ancient wall comprises a circuit of great extent but now the greater part of the space adjoining the isthmus is deserted, and only that part still subsists which adjoins the mouth of the port, where also the Acropolis is situated. The portion still remaining is such as to make up a considerable city. It has a splendid Gymnasium, and a good-sized Agora, in which stands the bronze colossal statue of Jupiter, the largest in existence next to that at Rhodes. In the interval between the Agora and the mouth of the port is the Acropolis, which retains only a few remnants of the splendid monuments with which it was adorned in ancient times. For the greater part were either destroyed by the Carthaginians when they took the city, or carried off as booty by the Romans, when they made themselves masters of it by assault. Among these is the colossal bronze statue of Hercules in the Capitol, a work of Lysippus, which was dedicated there as an offering by Fabius Maximus, who took the city.” ( Strab. vi. p.278 .)

In the absence of all extant remains there is very little to be added to the above description. But Polybius, in his detailed narrative of the capture of the city by Hannibal, supplies us with some local names and details. The principal gate on the E. side of the city, in the outer line of walls, seems to have been that called the Temenid Gate ( αἱ πύλαι Τημένιδαι, Pol. 8.30) outside of which was a mound or tumulus called the tomb of Hyacinthus, whose worship had obviously been brought from Sparta. A broad street called the Batheia, or Low Street, led apparently from this gate towards the interior of the city. This from its name may be conjectured to have lain close to the port and the water's edge, while another broad street led from thence to the Agora. (Ib. 31.) Another street called the Soteira ( Σωτεῖρα ) was apparently on the opposite side of the city from the Batheia, and must therefore have adjoined the outer sea. (Ib. 36.) Immediately adjoining the Agora was the Museum ( Μουσεῖον ), a public building which seems to have served for festivals and public banquets, rather than for any purposes connected with its name. (Ib. 27, 29.) There is nothing to indicate the site of the theatre, alluded to by Polybius on the same occasion, except that it was decidedly dans the city, which was not always the case. Strabo does not notice it, but it must have been a building of large size, so as to be adapted for the general assemblies of the people, which were generally held in it, as was the case also at Syracuse and in other Greek cities. This is particularly mentioned on several occasions it was there that the Roman ambassadors received the insult which finally led to the ruin of the city. ( Flor. 1.18.3 V. Max. 2.2.5 Appien, Samnit. 7.)

Livy inaccurately describes the citadel as standing on lofty cliffs ( “praealtis rupibus,” 25.11): the, peninsula on which it stood rises indeed (as observed by Strabo) a little above the rest of the city, and it. is composed of a rocky soil but the whole site is low, and no part of it rises to any considerable elevation. The hills also that surround the Mare Piccolo are of trifling height, and slope very gradually to its banks, as well as to the shore of the outer sea. There can be no doubt that the, port of Tarentum, properly so called, was the inlet now called the Mare Piccolo or “Little Sea,” but outside this the sea on the S. side of the city forms a bay or roadstead, which affords good shelter to shipping, being partially sheltered from the SW. by the two small islands of S. Pietro et S. Paolo, apparently the same which were known in ancient times as the CHOERADES ( Thuc. 7.33 .)

Tarentum was celebrated in ancient times for the salubrity of its climate and the fertility of its territory. Its advantages in both respects are extolled by Horace in a well-known ode (Carme. 2.6), who says that its honey was equal to that of Hymettus, and its olives to those of Venafrum. Varro also praised its honey as the best in Italy (ap. Macrob. Sat. 2.12). Its oil and wines enjoyed a nearly equal reputation the choicest quality of the latter seems to have been that produced at Aulon (Hor. l.c. Martial, 13.125 Plin. Nat. 14.6. s. 8 ), a valley in the neighbourhood, on the slope of a hill still called Monte Melone [AULON]. But the choicest production of the neighbourhood of Tarentum was its wool, which appears to have enjoyed an acknowledged supremacy over that of all parts of Italy. ( Plin. Nat. 29.2. s. 9 Martial, l.c. Varr. R. R. 2.2.18 Strab. vi. p.284 Col. 7.2.3 .) Nor was this owing solely to natural advantages, as we learn that the Tarentines bestowed the greatest care upon the preservation and improvement of the breed of sheep. ( Col. 7.4 .) Tarentum was noted likewise for its breed of horses, which supplied the famous Tarentine cavalry, which was long noted among the Greeks. Their territory abounded also in various kinds of fruits of the choicest quality, especially pears, figs, and chestnuts, and though not as fertile in corn as the western shores of the Tarentine gulf, was nevertheless well adapted to its cultivation. At the same time its shores produced abundance of shell-fish of all descriptions, which formed in ancient times a favourite article of diet. Even at the present day the inhabitants of Taranto subsist to a great extent upon the shell-fish produced in the Mare Piccolo in a profusion almost incredible. Its Pectens or scallops enjoyed a special reputation with the Roman epicures. (Hor. Sat. 2.4. 34.) But by far the most valuable production of this class was the Murex, which furnished the celebrated purple dye. The Tarentine purple was considered second only to the Tyrian, and for a long time was the most valuable known to the Romans. (Corn. Nep. ap. Plin. 9.39. s. 63.) Even in the time of Augustus it continued to enjoy a high reputation. ( Hor. Ep. 2.1 , 207 .) So extensive were the manufactories of this dye at Tarentum that considerable mounds are still visible on the shore of the Mare Piccolo, composed wholly of broken shells of this species. (Swinburne's Travels, vol. je. p. 239.) [p. 2.1100]

The climate of Tarentum, though justly praised by Horace for its mildness, was generally reckoned soft and enervating, and was considered as in some degree the cause of the luxurious and effeminate habits ascribed to the inhabitants ( “molle Tarentum,” Hor. Sat. 2.4. 34 “imbelle Tarentum,” Id. Ep. 1.7. 45.) It is probable that this charge, as in many other cases, was greatly exaggerated but there is no reason to doubt that the Tarentines, like almost all the other Greeks who became a manufacturing and commercial people, indulged in a degree of luxury far exceeding that of the ruder nations of Central Italy. The wealth and opulence to which they attained in the 4th century B.C. naturally tended to aggravate these evils, and the Tarentines are represented as at the time of the arrival of Pyrrhus enfeebled and degraded by luxurious indulgences, and devoted almost exclusively to the pursuit of pleasure. To such an excess was this carried that we are told the number of their annual festivals exceeded that of the days of the year. (Theopomp. ap. Athen. 4.166 Clearch. ap. Athen. 12.522 Strab. vi. p.280 Élie, Ael. VH 12.30 .) Juvenal alludes to their love of feasting and pleasure when he calls it “coronatum ac petulans madidumque Tarentum” (6.297). But it is certain, as already observed, that they were not incapable of war: they furnished a considerable body of troops to the army of Pyrrhus and in the sea-fight with the Roman fleet off the entrance of the harbour, during the Second Punic War, they displayed both courage and skill in naval combat. ( Liv. 26.39 .) In the time of their greatest power, according to Strabo, they could send into the field an army of 30,000 foot and 3000 horse, besides a body of 1000 select cavalry called Hipparchs. ( Strab. vi. p.280 .) The Tarentine light cavalry was indeed celebrated throughout Greece, so that they gave name to a particular description of cavalry, which are mentioned under the name of Tarentines ( Ταραντῖνοι ), in the armies of Alexander the Great and his successors and the appellation continued in use down to the period of the Roman Empire. (Arrian, Anab. Identifiant. Tact. 4 Pol. 4.77, 11.12 Liv. 35.28 Élie, Tact. 2. p. 14 Suidas, s. v. Ταραντῖνοι. ) It is probable, however, that these may have been always recruited in great part among the neighbouring Messapians and Sallentines, who also excelled as light horsemen.

With their habits of luxury the Tarentines undoubtedly combined the refinements of the arts usually associated with it, and were diligent cultivators of the fine arts. The great variety and beauty of their coins is, even at the present day, a sufficient proof of this, while the extraordinary numbers of them which are still found in the S. of Italy attest the wealth of the city. Ancient writers also speak of the numbers of pictures, statues, and other works of art with which the city was adorned, and of which. a considerable number were transported to Rome. ( Flor. 1.18 Strab. vi. p.278 Liv. 27.16 .) Among these the most remarkable were the colossal statue of Jupiter, mentioned by Strabo (l.c.), and which was apparently still standing in the Agora in his time the bronze statue of Hercules by Lysippus already noticed and a statue of Victory, which was also carried to Rome, where it became one of the chief ornaments of the Curia Julia. ( D. C. 51.22 .) Nor were the Tarentines deficient in the cultivation of literature. In addition to Archytas, the Pythagorean philosopher, celebrated for his mathematical attainments and discoveries, who long held at Tarentum a place somewhat similar to that of Pericles at Athens ( D. L. 8.4 Suid. s. v. Ἀρχύτας Athen. 12.545 ), Aristoxenus, the celebrated musician and disciple of Aristotle, was a native of Tarentum as well as Rhinthon, the dramatic poet, who became the founder of a new species of burlesque drama which was subsequently cultivated by Sopater and other authors. (Suid. s. v. Ρίνθων. ) It was from Tarentum also that the Romans received the first rudiments of the regular drama, Livius Andronicus, their earliest dramatic poet, having been a Greek of Tarentum, who was taken prisoner when the city fell into their hands. ( Cic. Brut. 18

Polybius tells us that Tarentum retained many traces of its Lacedaemonian origin in local names and customs, which still subsisted in his day. Such was the tomb of Hyacinthus already mentioned (Pol. 8.30): the river Galaesus also was called by them the Eurotas (Ib. 35), though the native name ultimately prevailed. Another custom which he notices as peculiar was that of burying their dead within the walls of the city, so that a considerable space within the walls was occupied by a necropolis. (Ib. 30.) This custom he ascribes to an oracle, but it may have arisen (as was the case at Agrigentum and Syracuse) from the increase of the city having led to the original necropolis being inclosed within the walls.

The name of Tarentum (Taras) was supposed to be derived from a river of the name of TARAS ( Τάρας ), which is noticed by several ancient writers. ( Steph. B. sub voce Τάρας Pause. 10.10.8 .) This is commonly identified with a deep, but sluggish, stream, which flows into the sea about 4 miles W. of the entrance of the harbour of Tarentum, and is still called Tara, though corrupted by the peasantry into Fiume di Terra. (Romanelli, vol. i. p. 281 Swinburne, vol. i. p. 271.) The more celebrated stream of the GALAESUS flowed into the Mare Piccola or harbour of Tarentum on its N. shore: it is commonly identified with the small stream called Le Citrezze, an old church near which still retains the name of Sta Maria di Galeso. [GALAESUS] Another locality in the immediate neighbourhood of Tarentum, the name of which is associated with that of the city by Horace, is AULON a hill or ridge celebrated for the excellence of its wines. This is identified by local topographers, though on very slight grounds, with a sloping ridge on the seashore about 8 miles SE. of Tarentum, a part of which bears the name of Monte Melone, supposed to be a corruption of Aulone [AULON]. A more obscure name, which is repeatedly mentioned in connection with Tarentum, is that of SATURIUM ( Σατύριον ). From the introduction of this name in the oracle alleged to have been given to Phalanthus ( Strab. vi. p.279 ), it seems probable that it was an old native name, but it is not clear that there ever was a town or even village of the name. It is more probable that it was that of a tract or district in the neighbourhood of Tarentum. Stephanus of Byzantium distinctly calls it χώρα πλήσιον Τάραντος (s. v. Σατύριον ) and the authority of Servius, who calls it a ville (civitas) near Tarentum, is not worth much in comparison. There was certainly no ville of the name in historical times. Virgil applies the epithet “Saturium” (as an adjective) to Tarentum itself (Geory. 2.197 Serv. ad loc.: many commentators, however, consider “saturi” from “satur” [p. 2.1101] to be the true reading), and Hrace speaks of “Satureianus cabellus” as equivalent to Tarentine. ( Sat. i. 6. 59.) The memory of the locality is preserved by a watch-tower on the coast, about seven miles SE. of Tarentum, which is still called Torre di Saturo (Romanelli, vol. i. p. 294 Zannoni Carta del Regno di Napoli).

(Concerning the history and ancient institutions of Tarentum, see Heyne, Opuscula, vol. ii. pp. 217--232 and Lorentz, de Civitate Veterum Tarentinorum, 4to. Lips. 1833. The present state and localities are described by Swinburne, vol. i. pp. 225--270 Keppel Craven, Southern Tour, pp. 174--190 and Romandelli, vol. je. pp. 282--289 but from the absence of existing remains, the antiquities of Tarentum have scarcely received as much attention as they deserve.)


Tarentum - History

After St. Clement’s closed in 2006, one of Follieri’s numerous corporations — CV12 216 W. Ninth Avenue LLC — bought the property in January 2007.

Men from the Vatican

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, from June 2005 through June 2007, Follieri ran a fraudulent real estate investment scheme, claiming that he had close connections with the Vatican — enabling him to purchase Catholic church properties at prices well below their market value.

He allegedly told people he formally was appointed by the Vatican to manage its financial affairs. Investigators say he raised investment capital for an “Italian office” that didn’t exist, including $800,000 on bogus “engineering reports” and other falsified business expenses.

Federal prosecutors say they have ample evidence that he spent as much as $6 million from his investors on a jet-setting lifestyle for himself, a girlfriend and others. The girlfriend is said to be actress Anne Hathaway, who dated Follieri for four years. Tabloid reports say the pair split last week.

Follieri is charged with various counts of conspiracy, wire fraud and money laundering. If he receives the maximum sentence, Follieri would spend life in prison and pay millions of dollars in fines.

A federal district court judge set Follieri’s bail at $21 million — $16 million must be in cash or property. Follieri also must relinquish his passport and get five other people to co-sign, assuming responsibility if he tries to escape. At press time, he was still in federal custody.

Undervalued

When Follieri’s company bought the former St. Clement’s property from the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh in January 2007, it was valued at $407, 000 — $337,000 for the building and $70,000 for the 23,000 square feet of adjoining land. Follieri, though, paid only $252,000 for it, according to Allegheny County records.

Follieri’s company also bought St. Patrick’s in Alpsville, Allegheny County, said the Rev. Ron Lengwin, diocesan spokesman.

“We were prepared to sell them (other unused properties), but it never got that far,” Lengwin said.

Follieri’s representatives did not tell diocesan officials they had ties to the Vatican, said Lengwin.

“Any church official could tell who was from the Vatican and who was not,” he said.

The property was sold to Follieri at the reduced price because “when you sell a piece of property that no one else wants, you have to sell it to the person who wants to buy it for what they’re willing to pay,” Lengwin said.

By the end of the year, the property was back on the market for $425,000.

The marketing agent trying to sell it, James Kelly of Grubb & Ellis in Pittsburgh, said he could not comment, as part of his contract with Follieri’s company.

Plusieurs appels vers le standard principal du groupe Follieri ont été transférés par une réceptionniste vers un numéro non fonctionnel.

Le directeur de l'arrondissement de Tarentum, Bill Rossey, a déclaré qu'il avait entendu parler de Follieri, mais qu'il ne savait pas qu'il était propriétaire de l'ancienne propriété de St. Clement et qu'il n'avait rien entendu de ce qui pourrait lui arriver maintenant.

Selon le personnel du US Marshals Department of Asset Forfeiture, si Follieri est reconnu coupable d'avoir obtenu frauduleusement ses actifs ou d'avoir utilisé des actifs légitimement obtenus pour commettre un crime, ces actifs pourraient être saisis et vendus pour dédommager les personnes qu'il a trompées. D'autres options incluent un accord de plaidoyer pour vendre les propriétés et liquider les actifs pour payer une restitution ou d'autres pénalités.

Selon la dernière estimation, le bâtiment a besoin d'environ 400 000 $ de travaux avant de pouvoir être réutilisé, y compris le toit et l'élimination de la moisissure, a déclaré l'historien catholique local Charles "Skip" Culleiton de New Kensington.

D'anciens paroissiens et catholiques locaux aimeraient probablement que le bâtiment soit utilisé pour fournir un service social ou à d'autres fins qui pourraient améliorer la communauté, ce que la société Follieri a promis à l'origine, a déclaré Culleiton.

« Cela permettrait probablement aux (paroissiens, catholiques) de se sentir mieux à propos de tout cela », a déclaré Culleiton.


Voir la vidéo: Nourrissage tarente de maurétanie min . (Mai 2022).